Root canal is probably the most misunderstood and dreaded procedure in dentistry.
TV shows, movies, urban myths make it seem very painful and horrifying.
The TRUTH is: with modern technology, and advances in local anesthetics,
IT IS NOT A SCARY PROCEDURE!
Five facts about root canals:
1. ROOT CANALS DO NOT HURT! You are numb during the procedure, and there is NO PAIN!
2. Root canals releive pain. Many patients in need of root canal therapy arrive in pain. Treatment releives it.
3. No, we are not removing the roots of your tooth. We clean the infected space inside the tooth.
4. Root canals save teeth that otherwise would have to be extracted.
5. THEY DO NOT HURT!
When is root canal needed?
1. Decay has reached the pulp (nerve) of a tooth.
2. The pulp has been irritated beyond natural healing and is causing pain.
3. The pulp has died and is causing infection in surrounding tissues.
4. There is an abscess at the end of the root.